TOO OFTEN WE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A TOUCH, A SMILE, A KIND WORD, A LISTENING EAR, AN HONEST COMPLIMENT, OR THE SMALLEST ACT OF CARING, ALL OF WHICH HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO TURN A LIFE AROUND
LEO F. BUSCAGLIA

Monday, May 10, 2010

Make Life is Sweet

Life has been busy here at Stillmeadow. Plenty of plain old everyday life and spring time happenings going on around here. That's a good thing! A few rainy days provided much needed time in the sewing room. See? The Juki is getting a workout! Love this machine.
This quilt is for a baby who will be born this summer. Make Life by Sweetwater is perfect for this first time mom-to-be who wants something outside the usual pastel baby colors and prints. I used the pattern Charm Squares Baby Quilt from Sew Mama Sew. PDF of instructions is here. I expanded the quilt size by using two charm packs instead of one, making this a crib size quilt.
D' chose Make Life Silly Multicolor for the backing and I quilted it simply with straight line quilting. It's been washed twice using color catcher sheets and had very little color bleed from this Moda fabric - no red bleed from the raspberry red binding.
Life is sweet...
Hope life is treating you well and has you busy creating fun things.
PS: Original quilt (pattern) is by Sew Mama Sew, a joint effort with Oh, Fransson! Some say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I say "why reinvent the wheel"?! Inspiration for Make Life by Sweetwater fabric, Nancy's blog.

28 comments:

  1. I **LOVE** it! I'm so glad we found the multicolor backing fabric. It turned out perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet quilt! Thanks for sharing it! I've been wanting to do a quilt with charm squares and now I know how I want to do it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I probably had it and then lost it. Snow on the ground this morning. I need to go out and shake it off the trees so the limbs don't break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty quilt...I bet it will be well used and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute baby quilt. Make Life fabric is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh... love it and those fabrics are so IT!!! Good to see some post by you.. but I am almost missing your posts in my reader..since just the first text is showig... huh... not good to just look at pictures sometimes..;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah ha...we have made identical quilts...lol

    http://withthreadinhand.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-life.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to start out in life--sleeping under that lovely quilt.

    Sounds like life is good. Glad to hear it, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure like the fabric you used for a backing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great baby quilt Kim...one lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable quilt! I love that it is not the typical baby quilt. It will be well loved and used for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic baby quilt!! Job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, it's adorable.
    I've been absent from blogging for a few weeks with so much company. It's fun to get back to see who is making what. Love your baby creation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, I LIKE those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful quilt, would love to have made it for one of my babies!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is adorable .... simple, but charming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable quilt! I love baby quilts that the child can grow with and don't look so babyish. This one is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty baby quilt and I love that fabric at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim! Gosh this is so cute and sweet and delightful. Oh I just luv it. Makes me happy over coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable. Absolutely adorable. I love the raspberry color for binding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that quilt. The fabric is so happy. Love the swing too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, you have a Juki! I have heard they are really great for machine quilting. A fast paced machine. You must be so pleased with it!
    A summer baby? Boy you sure have been busy!! Very smart to make a crib size quilt. Babies grow sooo quickly as Im sure you already know! :0) So cute!! Lucky baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE it!!! I can't believe I never bought any of that fabric (kicking myself)!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sweet little quilt! I have that Juki too and LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simple and sweet. I love how you photographed it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I first glanced at this fabric, I thought it was all a bunch of selvages sewn together. And my jaw dropped.

    Very cute little quilt. Looks great on the fence in your last photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.