TOO OFTEN WE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A TOUCH, A SMILE, A KIND WORD, A LISTENING EAR, AN HONEST COMPLIMENT, OR THE SMALLEST ACT OF CARING, ALL OF WHICH HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO TURN A LIFE AROUND
LEO F. BUSCAGLIA

Friday, January 21, 2011

Pushing your luck has it's rewards

You haven't seen hide nor hair of Tom for a good while now, so here he is all bundled up, and despite the -5 degrees F (a warm up from a bone chilling -27 degrees F earlier in the morning), he is cheerfully holding my quilt...moving it this way and that until it was straight and not blowing in the wind, lol . Pretty sweet of him, huh?!
Here's the final chapter on this quilt story. I spent a couple of winter months in 2009 gathering materials and piecing together Midwest Pride. I spent the autumn of 2010 hand quilting it. No rush, huh? I finally finished the quilting and hand sewed the binding on last weekend. Because I used some recycled materials such as the sweet soft wool that I felted a while back, some gently used 100% cotton shirts that I found at the thrift shops (needless to say these were also washed - this was the best fabric to work with!), some prewashed new cottons, some unwashed new cottons and a prewashed 100% cotton bed sheet from IKEA (backing). I was curious to see how this blend would wash up and felt a good deal nervous while it tumbled around in the front loader (love the front loading machine for my quilts). The quilt washed up beautifully and was followed with about twenty minutes in a low temp dryer to reshape the cotton and was then laid out flat, smoothed into shape a bit and left to finish drying. I had such good luck with this mix of materials! I intend to push my luck again!
I think it looks nice in our dining room. The quilt is 55 inches square. Here's a peek of it hanging in the freshly painted room. There are decorating and furniture changes to make, but this quilt is definitely the focal point of the room and I love it there! Tom will hang a dining room light and I'll add some antique things to the space. The entire house is a work in progress right now so it felt real good to hang this quilt and better yet, to declare a finish!!

Now it's your turn to push your luck. Break away from the traditional same old, same old materials in the sewing and quilting department. It absolutely has it rewards!

Happy quilting!

26 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Kim! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a keeper there.....

    Love your quilt, looks great on the wall where you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's beautiful! It looks great hanging from the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brrrr! Kim it is a wonderful, wonderful quilt. What a perfect place to hang it! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome quilt Kim!! It looks great in your dining room!

    What a sweatheart Tom is to go out and hold that quilt in the bone chilling cold! I think he's a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks beautiful on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just beautiful Kim and it looks wonderful hanging on the wall! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrr, I can't even imagine that kind of cold. Your husband is so nice to hold up that quilt for the picture. Really nice quilt Kim! I love it and it looks so nice in your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom was so sweet to be your quilt holder in that cold. The quilt looks great on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt and great picture.

    Keep warm...Christa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cold!! Tom was very brave! I love the quilt. Looks beautiful where you've hung. I really like the mix of fabric you used. Seemed to work quite well. You must be on to something good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beauty.....and keep toasty inside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's stunning, a wonderful feature for the room

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome quilt...it is gorgeous and I love that you managed to photograph it outside!
    We have front loader machines here and they are so much easier on one's clothes and quilts! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss this post??? I hate when that happens.

    I love this finish, Kim! Looks wonderful on the wall.

    Great advice - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear its been nasty cold by you! Glad to see Tom again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is stunning, Kim! Tom is a great model - sure doesn't look that cold - LOL! Is this your own design or was it a ready-made pattern! I think it really adds to your dining room! Love that you "recycled" fabrics to make it - way to go!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking Good!! I mean the quilt -LOL!

    Nice to see Tom's smiling face poking up from behind it:))

    Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OHMY!! I love that quilt Kim. It is awesome. Great job!!!!! Nice quilt holder you got there too. haaaa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful quilt and using different fabrics makes your quilt even more interesting.

    Your DH is a great holder, even in on very cold days. I have a quilt that needs to be taken outdoors for a photo, but it has been just a tad too cold. But, if your DH can do it, we can too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, Kim!
    Really good to see Tom and hear your voice on the blog! I've been "gone" a bit, too... life is like that. I need to make that "Black Cat" banner! Hmmm.. a person could change up the pumpkins for Spring flowery plants, or Summer Sunflowers to swap out the seasons, maybe??
    Cheers!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see you have changed your blog background! :0) I like it! The floating hearts are really cute. I also noticed you have a saying or quote at the bottom of your blog to. It is all to true.

    Tom looks good- holding up your quilt! What a sweet guy! I see you have lots of snow!

    I'm so glad to hear that you recycle and try new fabrics too! The Midwest Pride quilt is beautiful! Looks great in your dining room! I know you must be so happy to have it done! I never realized that you are also a hand quilter!! Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how it looks on the wall. Well done finishing it. How is Tom?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.