TOO OFTEN WE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A TOUCH, A SMILE, A KIND WORD, A LISTENING EAR, AN HONEST COMPLIMENT, OR THE SMALLEST ACT OF CARING, ALL OF WHICH HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO TURN A LIFE AROUND
LEO F. BUSCAGLIA

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hand knits by D' Marie and a very large chicken

D' knit this cozy soft wool hat and pair of double mittens for Tom. Here's Tom modeling them and waving hello. :-Oh my, he really should come in from the cold.
Deputy Chicken
D' knits for us and I quilt for her. She wanted this rather large Country Threads chicken (Deputy Chicken because of it's star badge) quilt so this is my latest finish for her. It's been on the list of to dos for a long time. Some quilters have UFOs. I have USOs. Unstarted Objects.

Many of you can probably relate to this USO thing, it comes in the form of kits, patterns and fabric purchases that are all tucked away and in some cases for years at a time. I figure that I have enough supplies to keep me busy for a while longer and will require very little shopping in order to finish a project. Typically I need to buy fabric for backing or binding and quilting thread in order to finish things up. Here's an idea, if you need a book of great ideas for using up your stash you might like to follow along with Kim Brackett's Scrap-Basket Sensations Blog Tour. Leave a comment at each blog and you might win your very own signed copy. This is a very special book as it contains the work of a few of quilter friends of mine who helped Kim bring the contents of this book together. I hope you'll follow along.

D' is knitting me a pretty red hat and mittens, but she knits things up so quickly! I can't keep up with this bartering of knitting for quilting thing we've started! Oh well, a happy problem to have.

Happy Quilting!

9 comments:

  1. What a great barter system you have there both items are so wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom looks a little chilly. Has it warmed up at your house? It was 60F here on Sunday. We melted, oh, about 1/3 of the snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect bartering system! Love it. Please bring poor Tom in the house and get him warmed up...his hat and mittens are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice trade off. I could use those hat and mittens right about now! :-) Love the Chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like Tom needs a good Spring thaw! The chicken looks great - I'm glad you finished her :) I, too, have a long "to-do" list - I'm glad that I do. It shows me that I still can ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great chicken! Tom looks a little bit cold! Love the hat and mittens! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the hat and mittens. D did an excellent job knitting! Something I was never able to do. I would either loose or gain stitches along the way. My projects always looked so funny with there zigzag shapes. I gave up on ever learning to do it right.
    Hehehehe Tom became a snowman for sure!
    Deputy chicken looks like he/she went together very easily! Sometimes those are the best projects to do when your feeling stressed.:0)
    I have many UFO's as well as USO's! To be honest a whole closet full! I am in the same boat. Wonder if it'll sink soon! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim, love the hat and gloves, looks like they are needed. The chicken is great. I love these things for my house, found some great things when we were in the States last year but I couldn't bring them all back! Although I did ship alot via UPS. I love the American houses with the porches! Susie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.